the last train left in 1970!

This is the second of a five-week series, which details the workings of the Pacific Coast Railroad (PCRR) late in its corporate life. Founding as the Columbia & Puget Sound Railroad (C & PS), from the ashes of the Seattle & Walla Walla, PCRR was profiled in a 1948 Rotogravure magazine, which included this photo of the Engine Dispatcher’s Board. The old callboard of the C & PS can be seen slightly above the new board installed in the PCRR terminals at South Alaskan Way near Dearborn on the Seattle waterfront – just west of Century Link stadium. Shown from left to right are: Tommy Wieltschnig, a hostler and Charles Newman, shop foreman; as engineer Fritz Soderback reports for his Black Diamond run. A hostler serviced locomotives and moved them in and out of the roundhouse, while an engineer operated the train with the assistance of a fireman who stoked the coal burning tender used to fire steam locomotives such as the one shown in last week’s column. Wieltschnig was a railroad man from 1941-1978, but passed away in 2013. The PCRR originally had 55 miles of track in the Seattle area, but by 1948 had been reduced to the line running from Black Diamond through Maple Valley and Renton to the Seattle waterfront and University of Washington. Three years later, PCRR was purchased by Great Northern Railway and operated until September 22, 1970 when the last train left Black Diamond. That same year Great Northern merged into Burlington Northern. This image and others in this series, come courtesy of JoAnne Matsumura, an Issaquah researcher who purchased them from an Arkansas archive firm.
579795444df85.image  - the last train left in 1970!
Source: PCRR Engine Dispatcher’s Board – VOICE of the Valley Online News: Coal Was King

Advertisements